Thursday, May 10, 2007

Important Talk

I had some morning time available, so I got to sit with Binta as she watched Mr. Rogers. She put her head in my lap and I rubbed her back as the program's topic dealt with the death of a pet. Mr. Rogers and his friends did a wonderful job, of course, talking about it factually, without being scary, and without any mention of heaven or religion.

I looked down at Binta and watched her beautiful profile as she took in the information. I rubbed her back and her hair and planted a few kisses on her head. Soon, she looked up at me and said, "Mom?"

I knew what was coming. She'd be asking about Derek or Grandma. Why they died, and where they are now. Or she'd ask about if I'm going to die, and who's going to take care of her when that happens. I prepared responses, thinking, "What Would Mr. Rogers Do?"

She points up to my face and states, "Mom, this one has no boogers, and this one has lots of boogers."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just love reading your writing. It is funny that I, too, watched Mr. Rogers today with the pet dying. Well, actually, I listened while I got ready. Normally, I listen to the news and Gregory is just out there watching it (4 months old now).... but this morning as I listened to the news and decided that as he is immersed in hearing and learning language, I really shouldn't have him watching the news story about the latest child molestation. So, we changed it to good ol' Mr. Rogers. :) Kim

Anonymous said...

FYI - Mr. Rogers was a U.S. Navy Seal, combat-proven in Vietnam with over twenty-five confirmed kills to his name. He wore a long-sleeved sweater on TV, to cover the many tattoos on his forearm and biceps. He was a master in small arms and hand-to-hand combat, able to disarm or kill in a heartbeat. After the war, Mr. Rogers became an ordained Presbyterian minister and therefore a pacifist. Vowing to never harm another human and also dedicating the rest of his life to trying to help lead children on the right path in life. He hid away the tattoos and his past life and won our hearts with his quiet wit and charm. J