Tuesday, May 01, 2007

A Conversation in the Car

Me: Nana's going to pick you up tonight and take you to storytime at the library, because I have to do some late teaching tonight.

Binta: Does Nana know how to get things from the library?

Me: Yeah, she does.

Binta: How do you know?

Me: Well, when I was a little girl, Nana took me to the library and taught me how to check things out. And now that I'm the Mama, I get to take you to the library and teach you how to check things out. And someday, when you're the Mama...

Binta: ...I'll take my little girl to the library!

(Pauses)

Binta: When I have a little baby, will we all live in the same house together?

Me: Well, probably not. When you have a baby, you'll want to live in your own house with your own family.

(Pauses)

Binta: How will I know how to get a house?

(Another pause)

Binta: I know! I'll ask Chris to help me!

Me: The "Chris and Jennifer" Chris?

Binta: No! The Chris who helped us find our house! (Clearly disappointed in my clueless-ness).

Me: Oh, that Chris! Yes, he's a relator - his job is to help people find houses.

Binta: But how will I find Chris?

Me: Well, Nana and Papa have his phone number. When you're ready to start shopping for a house, I suppose you could give him a call.

No comments: