Monday, April 26, 2010

You Give Me Fever

It started Saturday night. Binta complained about feeling too cold, so I suggested she warm up in a hot bath. I decided to check her temperature, and sure enough, she had a fever of 101.

Throughout the night, it continued to climb up and down, most likely due to the Tylenol I gave her. She didn't complain about anything else. Just feeling either too hot or too cold.

So the next morning, when it seemed that her temperature had settled back down, we thought the bug had run its course. Unfortunately, it seems the bug had heard about the birthday party Binta was going to, and wanted to tag along. Uninvited. And it didn't bring a gift for the birthday girl, either. At least, I hope it didn't. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

All through the night, we monitored her temperature, as it continued to surprise us with new and amazing 3-digit numbers. Binta's varying attitude was also fascinating to watch. From being in tears, thrashing around in the bed crying that she's too hot, to singing radio call number jingles that match the numbers on the thermometer.

As my school secretary reminded me, "You can't keep a good pirate down."

No comments: